My research lies on the border between Constraint Programming and Data Mining. I am an Artificial Intelligence researcher, with special interests for search algorithms, constraints and declarative languages.
I collaborate on the EU FET project 'Inductive Constraint Programming' and other projects in the group.
Projects and software
- CP4IM (PhD): Constraint Programming for Itemset Mining
- ICON (EU FET): Inductive Constraint Programming
Funded by the Institute for the Promotion of Innovation by Science and Technology in Flanders (IWT-vlaanderen).
- Finalist FameLab benelux (science communication) [May 2014].
- ACP Doctoral Research Award of the Association for Constraint Programming [Sept. 2013]
- Artificial Intelligence Dissertation Award sponsored by ECCAI, the European Coordinating Committee for Artificial Intelligence [July 2013]
- ORBEL Wolsey award for best OR-related open source implementation (CP4IM) of a PhD thesis [Feb. 2013]
- First place jury and audience award in KU Leuven Youreca challenge to explain a scientific problem or fact in a clarifying, creative and entertaining way. [Nov. 2012]
- First place at the Irish Collegiate Programming Competition 2012
- Innovation award at the Mining Patterns and Subgroups workshop 2010, for the paper 'k-pattern set mining using constraint programming'.
- IDA 2014 conference: local chair
- AIJ Special Issue: CoCoMile on COmbining COnstraint solving with MIning and LEarning
- ECMLPKDD Open Science award @ ECMLPKDD 2013: co-initiator and chair
- LML workshop @ ECMLPKDD 2013: Languages for Data Mining and Machine Learning
- CoCoMile 2013 workshop @ AAAI 2013: Second workshop on COmbining COnstraint solving with MIning and LEarning
- CoCoMile 2012 workshop @ ECAI 2012: COmbining COnstraint solving with MIning and LEarning
- Bi-weekly ML meetings [2012-present]
- FOSDEM (Open Source conference) [2007-present]
- Wetenschapscommunicatie [2010-present]
- Fundamenten van de Informatica [2008-present]
- Part of Advanced Programming Languagues for A.I. [2008-2010]
- Constraint Programming Meets Data Mining summer school [September 2014]
- Frontiers in AI @ ECAI 2014
- Seminar at Monash university/NICTA [July 2014]
- Current Trends in Artificial Intelligence (AI lab VUB/ULB) [February 2013]
- Seminar at the Cork Constraint Computation Centre Seminar [March 2012]
- Analysis of patterns summer school [October 2009]
- FameLab benelux 2014: Cameras playing Where is Waldo (face detection) & Computers with brains (deep neural networks).
- "True or false, a central problem in A.I." for the youreca challenge 2013 (first place)
- "Rock-Paper-Sissors and A.I." for Kinderuniversiteit 2012 (Youngsters aged 8-12)
- "The computer plays poker" for Wetenschapsweek 2010 & 2012 (Youngsters aged 15-18)
- "Computer with a crystal ball" for Wetenschapsweek 2008 (Youngsters aged 15-18)