Department of Computer Science
Katholieke Universiteit Leuven
Celestijnenlaan 200A (Room 04.25)
Phone: +32 (0)16 32 53 83
Fax: +32 (0)16 32 79 96
Marie-Francine (Sien) Moens is a professor at the Department of Computer Science of the Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Belgium. She holds a M.Sc. and a Ph.D. degree in Computer Science from this university. She is head of the Language Intelligence and Information retrieval (LIIR) research group.
Her main interests are in the domain of automated content retrieval and extraction from text using a combination of statistical, machine learning and symbolic techniques, and exploiting insights from linguistic and cognitive theories. She investigates topics such as:
- Information extraction from text, content recognition, machine reading, semantic parsing, discourse understanding, text mining, knowledge acquisition in the biomedical and legal domains.
- Machine learning for natural language processing, especially learning with limited supervision.
- Machine learning for information retrieval, classification and aggregation.
- Information retrieval and search models, text based question answering and reasoning.
- Cross-media and cross-lingual alignment, summarization and retrieval of content.
- Multimedia information retrieval.
- Processing of noisy text such as user generated content and speech transcripts.
- e-Forensics: content and email filtering.
In 2011 and 2012 she was appointed as chair of the European Chapter of the Association for Computational Linguistics (EACL) and was a member of the executive board of the Association for Computational Linguistics (EACL). From 2010 until 2014 she was a member of the Research Council of KU Leuven and is currently a member of the Council of the Industrial Research Fund of KU Leuven. She is the scientific manager of the EU COST action iV&L (The European Network on Integrating Vision and Language). She is a member of the editorial board of the journal Foundations and Trends® in Information Retrieval and a section editor for natural language processing of the journal Artificial Intelligence and Law .
She is the author of many international publications and books including the publication of:
|DISK||Discovery of Knowledge on Chinese Medicinal Plants in Biomedical Texts|
|iV&L||Combining Computer Vision and Language Processing For Advanced Search (EU ICT COST Action)|
|MUSE||Machine Understanding for interactive StorytElling (EU ICT FP7 FET)|
|PARIS||Personalised AdveRtisements buIlt from web Sources|
|SAEL-RMR||A Synergetic Approach to Extraction, Learning and Reasoning for Machine Reading|
|SAM||Semantic Annotation and retrieval of Multimedia|
|SCATE||Smart Computer-Aided Translation Environment|
|TextLink||Structuring Discourse in Multilingual Europe (EU ISCH Cost Action)|
|A4MC3||Architectures for Mobile Community Content Creation|
|ACILA||Automatic Detection and Classification of Arguments in a Legal Case|
|Acknowledge||Accessible & Open Knowledge Infrastructure for Flanders|
|AMASS++||Advanced Multimedia Alignment and Structured Summarization|
|AntiPhish||Anticipatory Learning for Reliable Phishing Prevention (EU ICT FP6)|
|CADIAL||Computer Aided Document Indexing for Accessing Legislation|
|CLARIN||Common Language Resources and Technology Infrastructure|
|CLASS||Cognitive-Level Annotation using Latent Statistical Structure (EU ICT FP6)|
|CORNETTO||Combinatorial and Relational Network as Toolkit for Dutch Language Technology|
|DAISY||Dutch lAnguage Investigation of Summarization technologY|
|GIE||Generic Technology for Information Extraction from Texts|
|INFO-NS||Intelligent exploitation tools for nonstructured information for the Belgian federal police|
|ISIS||Indexing Structures and retrievability of Information Sources|
|LINDO||Large scale distributed INDexation of multimedia Objects|
|MUMIA||MUltilingual and Multifaceted Interactive information Access (EU ICT COST Action)|
|PuppyIR||An Open Source Environment to Construct Information Services for Children (EU ICT FP7)|
|Spraak2Taal||Extraction of Ideological Content from Political Speeches|
|SUNSHINE||Virtual Data Analyst for Interactive Data-Driven Journalism|
|TERENCE||An Adaptive Learning System for Reasoning about Stories (EU ICT FP7)|
|TermWise||TermWise: Resources for Specialized Language Use|
|TEXT MINING||Text Mining for the Dissemination of Statistical Information via the Internet|
|TIME||Advanced Time Based Text Mining|
|TOSCA-MP||Task-Oriented Search and Content Annotation for Media Production (EU ICT FP7)|
|WebInsight||WebInsight: Towards Modeling Correlation and Evolution of Web Documents|
Selection of invited keynotes
Argumentation Mining, Forum for Information Retrieval Evaluation (FIRE), 6-12-2013, India International Center, New Delhi, India.
Machine Understanding of Text: A Complex Puzzle to Unravel, 13th International Conference on Intelligent Text Processing and Computational Linguistics, 16-3-2012, Indian Institute of Technology, New Delhi, India.
More than Just Words: Discovering the Semantics of Text with a Minimum of Supervision Fourteenth Portuguese Conference on Artificial Intelligence (EPIA 2009), 14-10-2009, University of Aveiro, Portugal.
Mining Opinions in Blogs: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly, 6ème Conférence en Recherche d'Information et Applications (CORIA 2009), 5-5-2009, VVF Presqu'île de Giens - VAR, France.
Selection of invited tutorials
Multilingual Probabilistic Topic Modeling and its Applications in Web Mining and Search, tutorial jointly with Ivan Vulić at the 7th ACM WSDM Conference (WSDM 2014), New York City, 24-2-2014.
Question Answering, tutorial at the EU Erasmus Intensive Programme Information Foraging , Nijmegen, The Netherlands, 22-8-2011 - 5-9-2011. Extraction d'information, tutorial at the Ecole d'Automne en Recherche d'Information et Applications, EARIA 2010, Saint-Germain-Au-Mont-d'Or, France, 8-11-2010 - 10-11-2010. Automatically Linking Content Across Languages and Media, tutorial at the 4th Chinese Semantic Web Symposium (CSSW 2010), Tsinghua University, China, 19-8-2010. Linking Content in Unstructured Sources, tutorial at the 19th International World Wide Web Conference (WWW 2010), Raleigh, NC, 27-4-2010. Text Mining, Information and Fact Extraction, tutorial at the 2nd Russian Summer School in Information Retrieval, Taganrog, Russia, 1-9-2008 5-9-2008.
See LIRIAS database.
Question Answering, tutorial at the EU Erasmus Intensive Programme Information Foraging , Nijmegen, The Netherlands, 22-8-2011 - 5-9-2011.
Extraction d'information, tutorial at the Ecole d'Automne en Recherche d'Information et Applications, EARIA 2010, Saint-Germain-Au-Mont-d'Or, France, 8-11-2010 - 10-11-2010.
Automatically Linking Content Across Languages and Media, tutorial at the 4th Chinese Semantic Web Symposium (CSSW 2010), Tsinghua University, China, 19-8-2010.
Linking Content in Unstructured Sources, tutorial at the 19th International World Wide Web Conference (WWW 2010), Raleigh, NC, 27-4-2010.
Text Mining, Information and Fact Extraction, tutorial at the 2nd Russian Summer School in Information Retrieval, Taganrog, Russia, 1-9-2008 5-9-2008.
- KORDJAMSHIDI, Parisa & MOENS, Marie-Francine (2015) Global Machine Learning for Ontology Population. Journal of Web Semantics, special issue on Semantic Search, 1-29.
- PROVOOST, Thomas & MOENS, Marie-Francine (2015) Semi-supervised Learning for the BioNLP Gene Regulation Network. BMC Bioinformatics (in press).
- VULIC, Ivan, DE SMET, Wim, TANG, Jie & MOENS, Marie-Francine (2015) Probabilistic Topic Modeling in Multilingual Settings: An Overview of Its Methodology and Applications. Information Processing & Management, 51 (1), 111-147.
- DE MULDER, Wim, BETHARD, Steven & MOENS, Marie-Francine (2015) A Survey on the Application of Recurrent Neural Networks to Statistical Language Modeling. Computer Speech & Language, 30 (1), 61-98.
- MOENS, Marie-Francine (2015) Argumentation Mining: Where are we now, where do we want to be and how do we get there? In Post-proceedings of the Forum for Information Retrieval Evaluation (FIRE 2013) (keynote lecture). ACM.
- MASSA, Wouter, KORDJAMSHIDI, Parisa, PROVOOST, Thomas and MOENS, Marie-Francine (2015) Machine Reading of Biological Texts: Bacteria-Biotope Extraction. In Proceedings of the 8th International Joint Conference on Biomedical Engineering Systems and Technologies - 6th International Conference on Bioinformatics Models, Methods and Algorithms.
- SHRESTHA, Niraj, VULIC, Ivan and MOENS, Marie-Francine (2015) Semantic Role Labeling of Speech Transcripts. In Proceedings of CICLING 2015, the 16th International Conference on Intelligent Text Processing and Computational Linguistics (Lecture Notes in Computer Science). Springer.
- KORDJAMSHIDI, Parisa, ROTH, Dan & MOENS, Marie-Francine (2015) Structured Learning for Spatial Information Extraction from Biomedical Text: Bacteria Biotopes. BMC Bioinformatics (in press).
- CERNY, Martin & MOENS, Marie-Francine (2015) aMUSE: Translating Text to Point and Click Games. In Proceedings of the 2015 AI Games Conference.
Go back to the LIIR research group webpages.