Department of Computer Science
Katholieke Universiteit Leuven
Celestijnenlaan 200A (Room 04.25)
Phone: +32 (0)16 32 53 83
Fax: +32 (0)16 32 79 96
Marie-Francine (Sien) Moens is a professor at the Department of Computer Science of the Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Belgium. She holds a M.Sc. and a Ph.D. degree in Computer Science from this university. She is head of the Language Intelligence and Information retrieval (LIIR) research group.
Her main interests are in the domain of automated content retrieval and extraction from text using a combination of statistical, machine learning and symbolic techniques, and exploiting insights from linguistic and cognitive theories. She investigates topics such as:
- Content recognition in text, information extraction, discourse understanding, text mining, knowledge acquisition, machine reading of text
- Processing of noisy text such as user generated content and speech transcripts
- Information retrieval and search models, text based question answering and reasoning
- Machine learning for natural language processing, especially learning with limited supervision
- Cross-media and cross-lingual alignment and summarization of content
- e-Forensics: content and email filtering.
She is the author of many international publications and books including the publication of:
|DISK||Discovery of Knowledge on Chinese Medicinal Plants in Biomedical Texts|
|iV&L||Combining Computer Vision and Language Processing For Advanced Search (EU ICT COST Action)|
|MUMIA||MUltilingual and Multifaceted Interactive information Access (EU ICT COST Action)|
|MUSE||Machine Understanding for interactive StorytElling (EU ICT FP7 FET)|
|PARIS||Personalised AdveRtisements buIlt from web Sources|
|SAEL-RMR||A Synergetic Approach to Extraction, Learning and Reasoning for Machine Reading|
|SAM||Semantic Annotation and retrieval of Multimedia|
|SCATE||Smart Computer-Aided Translation Environment|
|SUNSHINE||Virtual Data Analyst for Interactive Data-Driven Journalism|
|TextLink||Structuring Discourse in Multilingual Europe (EU ISCH Cost Action)|
|A4MC3||Architectures for Mobile Community Content Creation|
|ACILA||Automatic Detection and Classification of Arguments in a Legal Case|
|Acknowledge||Accessible & Open Knowledge Infrastructure for Flanders|
|AMASS++||Advanced Multimedia Alignment and Structured Summarization|
|AntiPhish||Anticipatory Learning for Reliable Phishing Prevention (EU ICT FP6)|
|CADIAL||Computer Aided Document Indexing for Accessing Legislation|
|CLARIN||Common Language Resources and Technology Infrastructure|
|CLASS||Cognitive-Level Annotation using Latent Statistical Structure (EU ICT FP6)|
|CORNETTO||Combinatorial and Relational Network as Toolkit for Dutch Language Technology|
|DAISY||Dutch lAnguage Investigation of Summarization technologY|
|GIE||Generic Technology for Information Extraction from Texts|
|INFO-NS||Intelligent exploitation tools for nonstructured information for the Belgian federal police|
|ISIS||Indexing Structures and retrievability of Information Sources|
|LINDO||Large scale distributed INDexation of multimedia Objects|
|PuppyIR||An Open Source Environment to Construct Information Services for Children (EU ICT FP7)|
|Spraak2Taal||Extraction of Ideological Content from Political Speeches|
|TERENCE||An Adaptive Learning System for Reasoning about Stories (EU ICT FP7)|
|TermWise||TermWise: Resources for Specialized Language Use|
|TEXT MINING||Text Mining for the Dissemination of Statistical Information via the Internet|
|TIME||Advanced Time Based Text Mining|
|TOSCA-MP||Task-Oriented Search and Content Annotation for Media Production (EU ICT FP7)|
|WebInsight||WebInsight: Towards Modeling Correlation and Evolution of Web Documents|
Recent invited keynotes
Machine Understanding of Text: A Complex Puzzle to Unravel, 13th International Conference on Intelligent Text Processing and Computational Linguistics, 16-3-2012, Indian Institute of Technology, New Delhi, India.
More than Just Words: Discovering the Semantics of Text with a Minimum of Supervision Fourteenth Portuguese Conference on Artificial Intelligence (EPIA 2009), 14-10-2009, University of Aveiro, Portugal.
Mining Opinions in Blogs: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly, 6ème Conférence en Recherche d'Information et Applications (CORIA 2009), 5-5-2009, VVF Presqu'île de Giens - VAR, France.
Recent invited tutorials
Information Extraction and Linking in a Retrieval Context, tutorial at the EU Erasmus Intensive Programme Information Foraging, Radboud University Nijmegen, The Netherlands, 19-8-2013 – 31-8-2013.
Cross-Lingual Probabilistic Topic Modeling and its Applications in Information Retrieval, tutorial jointly with Ivan Vulić at the 35th European Conference on Information Retrieval, Moscow, Russia, 24-3-2013.
Question Answering, tutorial at the EU Erasmus Intensive Programme Information Foraging , Nijmegen, The Netherlands, 22-8-2011 - 5-9-2011.
Extraction d'information, tutorial at the Ecole d'Automne en Recherche d'Information et Applications, EARIA 2010, Saint-Germain-Au-Mont-d'Or, France, 8-11-2010 - 10-11-2010.
Automatically Linking Content Across Languages and Media, tutorial at the 4th Chinese Semantic Web Symposium (CSSW 2010), Tsinghua University, China, 19-8-2010.
Linking Content in Unstructured Sources, tutorial at the 19th International World Wide Web Conference (WWW 2010), Raleigh, NC, 27-4-2010.
Text Mining, Information and Fact Extraction, tutorial at the 2nd Russian Summer School in Information Retrieval, Taganrog, Russia, 1-9-2008 5-9-2008.
PublicationsSee LIRIAS database.
- GOMEZ, Juan-Carlos & MOENS, Marie-Francine (2014) Minimizer of the Reconstruction Error for Multi-Class Document Categorization. Journal of Expert Systems with Applications, 41 (3), 779-930.
- MOENS, Marie-Francine, Li, Juanzi & CHUA, Tat-Seng (Eds.) (2014) Mining User Generated Content. CRC Press - Francis & Tailor Group. 474 p.
- KOLOMIYETS, O. & MOENS, M.-F. (2014) Towards Animated Visualization of Actors and Actions in a Learning Environment. In Proceedings of the 3rd International Workshop on Evidence Based and User centred Technology Enhanced Learning (EbuTEL 2013) (Advances in Intelligent and Soft-Computing) (in press). Springer.
- MOENS, Marie-Francine & VULIC, Ivan (2014) Multilingual probabilistic topic modeling and its applications in web mining and search. In Proceedings of the Seventh ACM International Conference on Web Search and Data Mining (WSDM 2014) (pp. 681-682). New York: ACM.
- SARIC, F., DALBELO BASIC, B., MOENS, M.-F. & SNAJDER, J. (2014) Multi-label Classification of Croatian Legal Documents Using EuroVoc Thesaurus. In Proceedings of SPLet - Semantic Processing of Legal Texts: Legal Resources and Access to Law Workshop.
- GLAVAS, G., SNAJDER, J., KORDJAMSHIDI, P. & MOENS, M.-F. (2014) HiEve: A Corpus for Extracting Event Hierarchies from News Stories. In Proceedings of the 9th Language Resources and Evaluation Conference. ELRA.
- YANG, Yang, LUYTEN, Walter, LIU, Lu, MOENS, Marie-Francine, LI, Juanzi and TANG, Jie (2014) Forecasting Potential Diabetes Complications. In Proceedings of the Twenty-Eighth AAAI Conference on Artificial Intelligence (AAAI-14). AAAI.
- VULIC, Ivan, ZOGHBI, Susana & MOENS, Marie-Francine (2014) Learning to Bridge Colloquial and Formal Language Applied to Linking and Search of E-Commerce Data. In Proceedings of the 37th Annual ACM SIGIR Conference on Research and Development in Information Retrieval. ACM.
Go back to the LIIR research group webpages.