Department of Computer Science
Katholieke Universiteit Leuven
Celestijnenlaan 200A (Room 04.25)
Phone: +32 (0)16 32 53 83
Fax: +32 (0)16 32 79 96
Marie-Francine (Sien) Moens is a professor at the Department of Computer Science of the Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Belgium. She holds a M.Sc. and a Ph.D. degree in Computer Science from this university. She is head of the Language Intelligence and Information retrieval (LIIR) research group.
Her main interests are in the domain of automated content retrieval and extraction from text using a combination of statistical, machine learning and symbolic techniques, and exploiting insights from linguistic and cognitive theories. She investigates topics such as:
- Information extraction from text, content recognition, machine reading, semantic parsing, discourse understanding, text mining, knowledge acquisition in the biomedical and legal domains.
- Machine learning for natural language processing, especially learning with limited supervision.
- Machine learning for information retrieval, classification and aggregation.
- Information retrieval and search models, text based question answering and reasoning.
- Cross-media and cross-lingual alignment, summarization and retrieval of content.
- Multimedia information retrieval.
- Processing of noisy text such as user generated content and speech transcripts.
- e-Forensics: content and email filtering.
In 2011 and 2012 she was appointed as chair of the European Chapter of the Association for Computational Linguistics (EACL) and was a member of the executive board of the Association for Computational Linguistics (EACL). From 2010 until 2014 she was a member of the Research Council of KU Leuven and is currently a member of the Council of the Industrial Research Fund of KU Leuven. She is the scientific manager of the EU COST action iV&L (The European Network on Integrating Vision and Language). She is a member of the editorial board of the journal Foundations and Trends® in Information Retrieval and a section editor for natural language processing of the journal Artificial Intelligence and Law .
She is the author of many international publications and books including the publication of:
|DISK||Discovery of Knowledge on Chinese Medicinal Plants in Biomedical Texts|
|iV&L||Combining Computer Vision and Language Processing For Advanced Search (EU ICT COST Action)|
|MUSE||Machine Understanding for interactive StorytElling (EU ICT FP7 FET)|
|PARIS||Personalised AdveRtisements buIlt from web Sources|
|SAEL-RMR||A Synergetic Approach to Extraction, Learning and Reasoning for Machine Reading|
|SAM||Semantic Annotation and retrieval of Multimedia|
|SCATE||Smart Computer-Aided Translation Environment|
|SUNSHINE||Virtual Data Analyst for Interactive Data-Driven Journalism|
|TextLink||Structuring Discourse in Multilingual Europe (EU ISCH Cost Action)|
|A4MC3||Architectures for Mobile Community Content Creation|
|ACILA||Automatic Detection and Classification of Arguments in a Legal Case|
|Acknowledge||Accessible & Open Knowledge Infrastructure for Flanders|
|AMASS++||Advanced Multimedia Alignment and Structured Summarization|
|AntiPhish||Anticipatory Learning for Reliable Phishing Prevention (EU ICT FP6)|
|CADIAL||Computer Aided Document Indexing for Accessing Legislation|
|CLARIN||Common Language Resources and Technology Infrastructure|
|CLASS||Cognitive-Level Annotation using Latent Statistical Structure (EU ICT FP6)|
|CORNETTO||Combinatorial and Relational Network as Toolkit for Dutch Language Technology|
|DAISY||Dutch lAnguage Investigation of Summarization technologY|
|GIE||Generic Technology for Information Extraction from Texts|
|INFO-NS||Intelligent exploitation tools for nonstructured information for the Belgian federal police|
|ISIS||Indexing Structures and retrievability of Information Sources|
|LINDO||Large scale distributed INDexation of multimedia Objects|
|MUMIA||MUltilingual and Multifaceted Interactive information Access (EU ICT COST Action)|
|PuppyIR||An Open Source Environment to Construct Information Services for Children (EU ICT FP7)|
|Spraak2Taal||Extraction of Ideological Content from Political Speeches|
|TERENCE||An Adaptive Learning System for Reasoning about Stories (EU ICT FP7)|
|TermWise||TermWise: Resources for Specialized Language Use|
|TEXT MINING||Text Mining for the Dissemination of Statistical Information via the Internet|
|TIME||Advanced Time Based Text Mining|
|TOSCA-MP||Task-Oriented Search and Content Annotation for Media Production (EU ICT FP7)|
|WebInsight||WebInsight: Towards Modeling Correlation and Evolution of Web Documents|
Selection of invited keynotes
Argumentation Mining, Forum for Information Retrieval Evaluation (FIRE), 6-12-2013, India International Center, New Delhi, India.
Machine Understanding of Text: A Complex Puzzle to Unravel, 13th International Conference on Intelligent Text Processing and Computational Linguistics, 16-3-2012, Indian Institute of Technology, New Delhi, India.
More than Just Words: Discovering the Semantics of Text with a Minimum of Supervision Fourteenth Portuguese Conference on Artificial Intelligence (EPIA 2009), 14-10-2009, University of Aveiro, Portugal.
Mining Opinions in Blogs: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly, 6ème Conférence en Recherche d'Information et Applications (CORIA 2009), 5-5-2009, VVF Presqu'île de Giens - VAR, France.
Selection of invited tutorials
Multilingual Probabilistic Topic Modeling and its Applications in Web Mining and Search, tutorial jointly with Ivan Vulić at the 7th ACM WSDM Conference (WSDM 2014), New York City, 24-2-2014.
Question Answering, tutorial at the EU Erasmus Intensive Programme Information Foraging , Nijmegen, The Netherlands, 22-8-2011 - 5-9-2011. Extraction d'information, tutorial at the Ecole d'Automne en Recherche d'Information et Applications, EARIA 2010, Saint-Germain-Au-Mont-d'Or, France, 8-11-2010 - 10-11-2010. Automatically Linking Content Across Languages and Media, tutorial at the 4th Chinese Semantic Web Symposium (CSSW 2010), Tsinghua University, China, 19-8-2010. Linking Content in Unstructured Sources, tutorial at the 19th International World Wide Web Conference (WWW 2010), Raleigh, NC, 27-4-2010. Text Mining, Information and Fact Extraction, tutorial at the 2nd Russian Summer School in Information Retrieval, Taganrog, Russia, 1-9-2008 5-9-2008.
See LIRIAS database.
Question Answering, tutorial at the EU Erasmus Intensive Programme Information Foraging , Nijmegen, The Netherlands, 22-8-2011 - 5-9-2011.
Extraction d'information, tutorial at the Ecole d'Automne en Recherche d'Information et Applications, EARIA 2010, Saint-Germain-Au-Mont-d'Or, France, 8-11-2010 - 10-11-2010.
Automatically Linking Content Across Languages and Media, tutorial at the 4th Chinese Semantic Web Symposium (CSSW 2010), Tsinghua University, China, 19-8-2010.
Linking Content in Unstructured Sources, tutorial at the 19th International World Wide Web Conference (WWW 2010), Raleigh, NC, 27-4-2010.
Text Mining, Information and Fact Extraction, tutorial at the 2nd Russian Summer School in Information Retrieval, Taganrog, Russia, 1-9-2008 5-9-2008.
- POULISSE, Gert-Jan, PATSIS, Yorgos & MOENS, Marie-Francine (2014) Unsupervised Scene Detection and Commentator Building Using Multi-modal Chains. Multimedia Tools and Applications, 70 (1), 159-175.
- GOMEZ, Juan-Carlos & MOENS, Marie-Francine (2014) Minimizer of the Reconstruction Error for Multi-Class Document Categorization. Journal of Expert Systems with Applications, 41 (3), 779-930.
- MOENS, Marie-Francine, Li, Juanzi & CHUA, Tat-Seng (Eds.) (2014) Mining User Generated Content. CRC Press - Francis & Tailor Group. 474 p.
- KOLOMIYETS, O. & MOENS, M.-F. (2014) Towards Animated Visualization of Actors and Actions in a Learning Environment. In Proceedings of the 3rd International Workshop on Evidence Based and User centred Technology Enhanced Learning (EbuTEL 2013) (Advances in Intelligent and Soft-Computing) (in press). Springer.
- MOENS, Marie-Francine & VULIC, Ivan (2014) Multilingual probabilistic topic modeling and its applications in web mining and search. In Proceedings of the Seventh ACM International Conference on Web Search and Data Mining (WSDM 2014) (pp. 681-682). New York: ACM.
- SARIC, F., DALBELO BASIC, B., MOENS, M.-F. & SNAJDER, J. (2014) Multi-label Classification of Croatian Legal Documents Using EuroVoc Thesaurus. In Proceedings of SPLet - Semantic Processing of Legal Texts: Legal Resources and Access to Law Workshop.
- GLAVAS, G., SNAJDER, J., KORDJAMSHIDI, P. & MOENS, M.-F. (2014) HiEve: A Corpus for Extracting Event Hierarchies from News Stories. In Proceedings of the 9th Language Resources and Evaluation Conference. ELRA.
- YANG, Yang, LUYTEN, Walter, LIU, Lu, MOENS, Marie-Francine, LI, Juanzi and TANG, Jie (2014) Forecasting Potential Diabetes Complications. In Proceedings of the Twenty-Eighth AAAI Conference on Artificial Intelligence (AAAI-14). AAAI.
- VULIC, Ivan, ZOGHBI, Susana & MOENS, Marie-Francine (2014) Learning to Bridge Colloquial and Formal Language Applied to Linking and Search of E-Commerce Data. In Proceedings of the 37th Annual ACM SIGIR Conference on Research and Development in Information Retrieval. ACM.
- KORDJAMSHIDI, Parisa & MOENS, Marie-Francine (2014) Global Machine Learning for Ontology Population. Journal of Web Semantics, special issue on Semantic Search (to appear).
- FARNADI, Golnoosh, SITARAMAN, Geetha, ROHANI, Mehrdad, KOSINSKI, Michal, STILLWELL, David, MOENS, Marie-Francine, DAVALOS, Sergio & DE COCK, Martine (2014) How are you Doing? Study of Emotion Expression from Facebook Status Updates with Users' Age, Gender, Personality and Time. In Proceedings of the EMPIRE Workshop of the 22nd International Conference on User Modeling, Adaptation and Personalization (UMAP 2014).
- FARNADI, Golnoosh, BACH, Stephan, MOENS, Marie-Francine, GETOOR, Lise & DE COCK, Martine. (2014) Extending PSL with Fuzzy Quantifiers. In Proceedings of StarAI 2014: Fourth International Workshop on Statistical Relational AI at AAAI 2014.
- VANDEGINSTE, Vincent, VANALLEMEERSCH, Tom, HOSTE, Veronique, MOENS, Marie-Francine, WAMBACQ, Patrick, CONINX, Karin & DE WACHTER, Ken (2014) Smart Computer Aided Translation Environment. In Proceedings of the Seventeenth Annual Conference of the European Association for Machine Translation (EAMT 2013).
- GOMEZ, Juan Carlos & MOENS, Marie-Francine (2014) A Survey of Automated Hierarchical Classification of Patents. In G. Paltoglou, F. Loizides H. and. Preben (Eds.), Professional Search in the Modern World (Lecture Notes in Computer Science). Springer.
- PROVOOST, Thomas & MOENS, Marie-Francine (2014) Semi-supervised Learning for the BioNLP Gene Regulation Network. BMC Bioinformatics (to appear).
- MARQUARDT, James, FARNADI, Golnoosh, VASUDEVAN, Gayathri, MOENS, Marie-Francine, DAVALOS, Sergio, TEREDESAI, Ankur & DE COCK, Martine (2014) Age and Gender Identification in Social Media. In Proceedings of CLEF 2014.
- SHRESTHA, N., NURANI VENKITASUBRAMANIAN, Aparna & MOENS, Marie-Francine (2014) Key Event Detection in Video using ASR and Visual Data. In Proceedings of the COLING Workshop on Vision and Language (VL'14). ACL.
- VULIC, Ivan & MOENS, Marie-Francine. (2014) Probabilistic Models of Cross-Lingual Semantic Similarity in Context Based on Latent Cross-Lingual Concepts Induced from Comparable Data. In Proceedings of EMNLP 2014: Conference on Empirical Methods in Natural Language Processing.
- NGOC THI DO, Q., BETHARD, S. & MOENS, M.-F. (2014) Text Mining for Open Domain Semi-Supervised Semantic Role Labeling. In Proceedings of the First International Workshop on Interactions between Data Mining and Natural Language Processing (pp. 33-48).
- DE MULDER, Wim, BETHARD, Steven & MOENS, Marie-Francine (2014) A Survey on the Application of Recurrent Neural Networks to Statistical Language Modeling. Computer Speech & Language (to appear).
- SIMON, Anca-Roxana, GRAVIER, Guillaume, SEBILLOT, Pascale & MOENS, Marie-Francine (2014) IRISA and KUL at MediaEval 2014: Search and Hyperlinking Task. In Proceedings of MediaEval Benchmarking Initiative for Multimedia Evaluation (MediaEval 2014).
- MOENS, Marie-Francine (2014) Argumentation Mining: Where are we now, where do we want to be and how do we get there? In Post-proceedings of the Forum for Information Retrieval Evaluation (FIRE 2013) (keynote lecture).
Go back to the LIIR research group webpages.